- To help in spreading a feeling of national pride in our documentary cultural heritage and ensuring its preservation for the posterity.
- To encourage the scientific Management, Administration and Conservation of records all over the country.
- To foster close relations between archivists and archival institutions both at the national and international levels.
- To encourage greater liberalization of access to archival holdings.
- To help in developing greater professionalism and a scientific temper among creators, custodians and users of records for proper care and use of our documentary heritage.
- Complete dedication and devotion to the welfare and development of Archives and the Archival Profession.
- Providing facilities for the public use of reference media, records and publications available among our holdings.
- Searching and issuing of certified extracts of documents to the public for their use in accordance with rules laid down for the purpose.
- Providing assistance to documentary film makers and other professionals in locating, selecting and filming material of their interest.
- Organizaing conducted tours to our various Sections for the benefit of officials/ trainees for education and professional Institutes, as well as groups of individuals, with a view to apprising them with the different activities of the Department.
- Extending professional expertise to Institutions by deputing officers to deliver lectures, conduct workshops on management, administration and preservation of records.
Guidance and Assistance
- The Department is committed to providing maximum assistance to scholars, administrators as well as the common man who approach us in connection with their work.
- All enquires are attended to promptly, and efforts are made to ensure satisfaction of the concerned person by providing feed back facility to the scholars/ researches visiting the Research Room.
- All requests may be addressed to the Director General of Archives, Janpath, New Delhi 110001, or at the under-mentioned contact numbers:
| Tel. No.
||23383436 (Director General of Archives)|
23388557 (Deputy Director of Archives, Records & First Appellate Authority)
23073659 (Assistant Director of Archives, Records)
23384797 (Assistant Director of Archives, Public Relation and Grievance Officer & CPIO)
23385000 (Administrative Officer)
23073462 (Research Room)
23384797 (Public Relations Cell)
23388557 (School of Archival Studies)
23388557 (RTI Cell)
| Fax No.